Dear value customers,
On September 25, 2020, the Codex Alimentarius Commission adopted the revised Code of Practice (General Principles of Food Hygiene (CXC 1-1969). Through this announcement we would like to provide some changes that may relate to the food business that is applying this HACCP standard.
WHAT HAS CHANGED FROM THE PREVIOUS CODEX HACCP VERSION?
There have been many changes made, both minor and major, compared to the previous 2003 code revision. Below is a summary of just some of the changes made:
1. CHANGES IN STANDARD STRUCTURE
The standard has been restructured with 2 main parts: good practice hygiene and HACCP principles. The structure of good hygiene practice has been rearranged, adding a general principle.
2. GENERAL PRINCIPLES
The general principles section added to better clarify the requirements for controlling food safety hazards must be based on science, control measures must be validated scientifically
The food safety control system must be periodically verified, reviewed and taken corrective actions as necessary
Request communication between stakeholders and interested parties throughout the food supply chain
3. COMMITMENT OF MANAGEMENT AND FOOD SAFETY CULTURE
To ensure the success of the food safety management system, the commitment of leaders in establishing and maintaining a food safety culture in the organization has been added in HACCP Codex 2020.
– Responsibilities and authorities must be communicated inside the organization
– Resource supply
– Training to staff
– Legal requirements compliance
– Continuously improvement
4. CONTROL OF ALLERGENS
HACCP Codex 2020 adds to the hazard and requires control of allergens in addition to physical, chemical, and biological hazards. Requirements on allergens management are referred to “Code of Practice on Food Allergen Management for Food Business Operators (CXC 334-2020).
- Identification of allergens in raw materials
- Cross-contamination control (storage, cleaning, swab test, …)
- Allergens awareness training
- Labeling and provide allergen information to customers and consumers
5. PREPARATION STEPS AND 7 HACCP PRINCIPLES
– 5 steps of preparation for HACCP are described in more detail. For example, the flow diagram requires more detail than HACCP Codex 2003.
– Significant hazard definition and CCP identification only apply to significant hazards.
– The decision tree diagram is no longer the only option when defining CCP, can use a different approach to identify CCP.
ROADMAP FOR APPLYING NEW VERSIONS
The application of this new version is not specifically regulated by recognized organizations or interested parties. AQS Global itself sets the roadmap that applies to HACCP new version 2020 as follows:
– Effective date to apply HACCP CODEX 2020 is 01/04/2021
– For new customers newly applying HACCP CODEX since 01/04/2021, it’s possible to apply new version 2020.
– For customers who are currently applying and certified according to HACCP Codex version 2003, it is possible to update to the new version 2020 at the surveillance audits or re-certification audit.
– Customers who request upgrading audit against to HACCP 2020 please contact and inform to Bureau Veritas Certification prior the audit date and there is no extra time for this upgrading audit.
– AQS Global do not charge any extra fee for upgrading audit including issuing a certificate to HACCP CODEX 2020
Please visit our website to learn and update more information regarding the services provided by AQS
Thank you very much!